Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Earthquake

In case you don't keep up with basketball, you may not be aware that the Dallas Mavericks are currently battling out the Miami Heat for the NBA Championship. Normally, I wouldn't pay attention to the NBA finals, but with everyone in Dallas really excited about the possibility of having a champ, it's hard to ignore. I would like them to win, too ... who doesn't love having a winning team!

So, last Thursday, we invited some of our friends over for dinner and to watch the game. I actually didn't join them for dinner because I met an old friend and former Sunday School teacher for dinner. We figured out that we hadn't seen each other in over 10 years, so it was so great to catch up!

Knowing I wasn't going to be at dinner, I told Landon I would make a cake to enjoy afterward. So Wednesday night, I went through all my recipes and found the perfect easy, yet delicious recipe for Earthquake Cake. 

This is my "Mema's" recipe. She is the best cook! I have no idea where she got this recipe but she made it once for a dinner, and I immediately told her I needed the recipe. This was my first time to make it, but I must say it's super easy. Here is what you need:

1 cup of shredded coconut
1 cup of chopped pecans
1 German chocolate cake mix
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 stick of butter, softened
16 oz confectioners sugar

First thing you want to do is mix the pecans and coconuts and place them in the bottom of a greased 9.5x13 pan. Next, mix up the cake mix as directed on the box and pour it over the coconut and pecan mixture. Lastly, mix the cream cheese, butter and confectioners sugar until fluffy. From here, spoon the mixture over the cake mix. It will probably look something like this.


Then, bake the cake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. As it bakes, the cake rises up over the cream cheese mixture, creating a layer of goodness in the middle.


The cake was well received. I probably could have cooked mine an extra five minutes, because the middle was really gooey, but it was still really good! Sorry I don't have any pics of our friends actually enjoying the cake (I promise they did), but with my camera being broken, I've been relying on my camera phone and I just forgot to take any!


This is a great recipe if you need something easy. You could also probably use a different kind of cake mix, if you wanted, but I'm a German chocolate fan, so it's perfect to me. If you make it, let me know what you think!

No comments: