Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Craig's List Find

A few week's ago, I began watching Craig's list for a dining room table. I see lots of DIY bloggers who have found amazing things on Craig's list, so I thought surely I could find something, too. 

I didn't quite know what I wanted, but I did know I wanted something to which I could give a little TLC. Also, while it's only Landon and me right now, we wanted to have enough room for guests, so I really wanted a table that would hold eight. Oh, and I didn't want too pay much!

When I first started looking, I was afraid I wouldn't find anything to fit my "wish list." Many listed only held six or were a little more than I wanted to pay. But, after a few days, I found the perfect table!

It definitely needed some TLC but it had two leaves to extend it and eight chairs. Plus, the price was just right at $200. 

So, I went by to take a look and after offering $150 (because a few of the chairs were wobbly), we brought it home! The woman I bought it from had purchased it herself four years ago on Craig's list with the same intention of redoing. But, she never got around to it and with now having two kids, she decided it was time to pass it along. When I picked it up, she asked that I send her pics once I redid it. Here's what it looks like right now:




As far as I can tell, the table is made of pine. It has some scratches on the top, which we'll attempt to sand out.


And it has pedestal "legs."

This pic was taken when I bought it, hence the hardwoods. We have carpet in our dining room.

The chairs have some great carvings on the top.


Now, one of the chairs is missing the little wooden ball on top, so I'm on the hunt for something to replace it with. I've looked at Michael's and Joann's but haven't found anything identical yet. I'm planning to try Hobby Lobby, too, but if you have a suggestion, please let me know.

After giving it some thought, I think I am going to paint the chairs white and stain the table a little darker, but, I'm open to any suggestions / thoughts you have!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

... had to come over and leave a comment after seeing your awesome name above my comment @ centsational girl - your blog looks great! Keep making that house a home and please continue to share it with all of us :o)

Kristin said...

Kristin, I am so honored that you came over! As a novice blogger, your blog has been such an inspiration to me! Plus, I love that you spell your name the "right" way. Thank you so much for the kind words!

Courtney Baker said...

Hey! I'm so glad you are blogging!

I love the white with dark stain idea.

Oh and if you can't find a replacement... you can do what I did and cut they all off. :)

Kristin said...

Thanks, Court! What you did with your table was inspiration to me. I didn't realize you had cut off the "tops" of the chairs. That may be the easiest fix! Thanks!